Faculty Research Development Fund - Collaborative Research Grant (FRDF-CRG)
The Faculty Research Development Funds are provided to the Faculty from the Office of the Vice-President Research. Funds also come from the President's Office and the SSHRC Endowment Fund.
PLEASE DO NOT FILL OUT A ROLA.
The FRDF - Collaborative Research Grants (FRDF-CRG) program will provide funding to foster interdisciplinary collaborative research. The goal of this opportunity is to promote collaborations that build on complementary scientific and scholarly backgrounds, and position Faculty of Social Science researchers to apply to Tri-Council or other external funding agencies.
Funding will support:
- New and existing interdisciplinary collaborations to further enhance research projects and programs
- To be eligible, the team must include at least two faculty members as PI or Co-PIs who reside in different Departments within the Faculty of Social Science
- Researchers from other Faculties can be part of the team, but the PI and Co-PIs must reside within Social Science.
Collaborative Grant - Maximum value: $10,000
General guidelinesFactors that will be weighted positively:
- a project that fosters collaboration based on a new or established multidisciplinary team, where the role of each team member is clearly outlined and explained
- a project that will lead to long term collaboration and attract external funding
- a clear indication of the significance of the research
- a clear statement of objectives, timeline, and expected outcomes
- expected impact on the field(s)
- support for HQP
- new scholars (pre-tenure or have been at Western < 3 years)
- a plan to revitalize or change direction in your research program
- an Investigator currently holds internal funding, OR holds external funds that relate directly to the proposed project
- the application does not foster new or established cross-Departmental collaborations
- an Investigator has held a large number of previous internal grants
- At least two of the Investigators must have a primary appointment within the Faculty of Social Science, and reside in different Departments
- Researchers from outside Social Science may be Collaborators
- Funding is not available for Collaborators (i.e., funding does not flow outside of the Faculty)
- Maximum = $10,000
- Funds must be used within 12 months from the date of the award
- Any unused funds at the end of the award period will be returned to the Faculty of Social Science, unless special permission is granted by the Associate Dean of Research to extend the end date
- Presentations and publications that arise as an outcome of this funding will acknowledge the Faculty of Social Science
- Awardees will be asked to submit a report after the project period end date
Please submit a single copy of the application form signed by your Department Chair to the Office of the Dean of Social Science on June 14, 2019. Electronic applications (either PDF or MSWord) can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty Research Development Fund - Collaborative Research Grant (FRDF-CRG) - Application Microsoft Word Doc (47kb)