Social Science Career Apprenticeship (SSCA)
You’re graduating in Spring 2022. Now what?
Western’s Faculty of Social Science is excited to announce the introduction of the Social Science Career Apprenticeship (SSCA)!
This program is a unique collaboration between Western and the London Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) to connect Social Science graduates with employment opportunities in the London region for May 2022.
- Be eligible for exclusive, full-time work opportunities in London (12-month contract)
- Gain paid work experience
- Be matched with an alumni mentor
- Start your career right after graduation
Who can apply?
- Students scheduled to graduate in Spring 2022 with a degree from the Faculty of Social Science.
- All candidates must be eligible for full-time employment in Canada at the time of submitting their application.
How does it work?
- Submit your application of interest on Western Connect
a. Select “Social Science Career Apprenticeship”
- Once approved, access career education resources to develop your resume and cover letters
- Apply to postings in the portal and attend interviews. An estimated 8 to 10 positions will be available through the program. Not every student who applies will be invited to interviews or offered a job. The participating employers will decide from their pool of applicants who to interview and rank for a job offer.
- Accept a 12-month contract with a London and area employer
- Be matched with a mentor who will be available to support you during your apprenticeship
- February: Student application deadline
- March: Job postings begin to be published
- April/May: Interviewing and job offers
- May/June: Apprenticeship begins
Relevant Career Education Resources to help you in your job search:
- Resume and Cover Letter Preparation
- Interview Preparation
- Access 1-1 coaching at Western Employment Resource Centre or Book an appointment
- Register for a career workshop. The most current workshop schedule and registration links are available here. Topics include:
- Virtual job search strategies
- Effective resume writing
- Why do I need a cover letter anyway?
- Interviewing in a virtual world
- How to grow your professional network
- LinkedIn: I’ve signed up, now what?
This program was established through a grant from Alan Rottenberg.
If you are an employer interested in offering an apprenticeship, please contact Robert Collins at email@example.com to learn more.